Skip to content

Goodbye Big Smoke

December 4, 2013

The house is being packed around me. It feels more than a bit surreal.

For the last four years we have been living as far on the edge of London as is possible whilst still (technically) being within its greater boundaries. After over a decade as Londoners we are now officially moving out. Although we’ve had this period on the fringe, straddling city and country, it still feels like A Thing. We will be entering into the folds of Kent proper. I feel apprehensive (hell, who isn’t when they move right?) and excited (bring on the change!).

Things I am going to miss:

• Being within a 10 minute walk (8 minutes to be precise!) of a station with direct trains into London town
  • Being able to walk to buy groceries
  • Having every and any type of food outlet within spitting distance
  • Our lovely neighbours, who are kind and nice and have a soft Welsh lilt, take enough of an interest but also keep to themselves
  • Our warm and sunny, south-west facing, suntrap of a patio
  • Sunset views from our upstairs windows
  • Our first garden
First garden

Our garden this summer

Things to look forward to:

• More space
  • Long country walks
  • Many Sunday lunches in country pubs
  • Being surrounded by more trees and greenery and nature
  • Discovering a new area. We will be living in an AONB!
  • Frequenting local farmers markets
  • Maybe getting a dog (!). Watch this space…
  • Having a bigger garden to play with – wahooo!
About these ads
6 Comments leave one →
  1. December 4, 2013 12:42 pm

Brilliant and succinct summary about ‘moving house’. Quite moved as I read it. Lovely pic of your garden this past summer.

Agree; do get a dog. We had a wonderful golden retriever for 13 happy years; we still miss her. And … other than ‘pooh and wee’ an intelligent and classy dog causes us gardeners far less grief than those wretched cats.

Hope to complete our own garden works in the spring and then you must come to visit and check out the result!

Chris.

2. fabrice permalink
    December 7, 2013 7:02 am

It is always a good time to move from the city and get the chance to have your own garden !
    actually i am lucky to visit île de la réunion with a fantastic nature ! plants here are just spectacular !

3. December 11, 2013 9:44 am

Good for you ! As you know, we have now moved to Bath..and when done, we will have a beautiful (we plan) west facing garden, which opens through a gate onto Gravel Walk, which leads to Victoria Park. The autumn leaf colure have been amazing. Three weeks out of London, and Bath feels like home already…really hope you’ll feel the same as the boxes get unpacked and recycled, and your new home emerges from the chaos. bx

• December 11, 2013 10:02 am

Hi Barry – sounds like you are in an amazing location! And how great that your new garden is west-facing. We are getting there with our unpacking. It’s still a bit chaotic but I already feel quite at home here already. I will let you know next time I am in Bath – it would be great to meet up. Enjoy Bath, it is a beautiful city! x

4. February 6, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi Sui,
    Loving your blog and your pictures! I have just moved to the big city (but I haved gain a small garden, which is better than none!).
    Are you the one maintaining the new Plant Heritage London Twitter account :) ?

• April 29, 2014 11:03 am

Hi Sophie, sorry I haven’t replied sooner – I’ve been neglecting my blog terribly. Thanks for your kind comment. Hope you are enjoying your city garden. Yes, I am currently running the Plant Heritage London Twitter account! Are you a member?